As I mentioned in my post about buying a Yashica Mat-124G, I had quickly shot a roll of film just to see if the camera worked. Luckily, it worked fine; however, the images were just ok. Some of them were a bit hazy.
The images were less hazy but some of them did still show some haze. I usually don’t do much editing of my film photos other than straightening and cropping, but I did use the dehaze tool in Adobe Lightroom to clean the images up some more.
One odd and annoying thing worth noting is that the lab I occasionally sent my film off to had put a label on my negatives prior to scanning and covered up part of one of my pictures. I understand the need to label strips of film to keep track of processing orders, but there was plenty of non-photo length at the other end of the roll so I’m baffled as to why the label ended up on top of a photo.
I can scan 35mm easily at home, and I have figured out a way to scan 110 film, but I’m not really set-up to scan 120. I would have liked to have rescanned this image, although I suspect I would have had difficulty getting the label off cleanly.
Luckily, I was only trying to capture a repeating pattern of brick so I was able to salvage the photo by cropping it. But I would have been even more annoyed if the label had covered up something more essential.
My experience with the Yashica so far has been pleasant although the images haven’t been as clean and sharp as they were with my Flexaret. I can give cleaning the lens another try, but I have a feeling that this might be as clear as it gets.